Support services for students with special needs are designed to help students with learning difficulties to maximize their potential for academic, social and vocational success. Support services can take the form of small group instruction, individual tutorials and in-class support. In addition, St. Patrick's maintains the services of Special Education Technicians that may work individually with students.
The Central Quebec School Board Special Needs Advisory Committee is a strong believer in inclusion. The regular class is available to all special needs students.
Parents with students of special needs are stongly encouraged to mark on their registration forms for their child the need for special need services. This allows time for a dossier to be compiled that must be submitted to the Ministry of Education for approval. Without such a dossier, and its subsequent approval our ability to offer services to your child will be limited. Please contact the guidance counselor Sandra Hughes (525-8421) for further information.
The following links are provided as resources for teachers, professionals and most importantly, parents with children who have special needs. They have been compiled here on one page so that it may act as an up to date resource. Please note that although we have provided these links, do not assume that we support, endorse or recommend any method, treatment, product, remedial centre, programme or person that you may discover in these links. We encourage you to inform yourselves appropriately.
- LD Online - This is an excellent resource: research, links, articles and more.
- Learning Disabilities Association of Canada (LDAC)
- Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDA)
- SNOW; Special needs Opportunities Windows - An excellent Canadian resource of special education needs and technologies. Extensive online resource lists. (Can)
- Child Development Institute - An award winning site for information on child development, psychology, parenting, learning, health and safety as well as childhood disorders such as attention deficit disorder, dyslexia and autism. We provide comprehensive resources and practical suggestions for parents covering toddlers to teens. Our site is recommended by Psychology Today and the American Psychological Association. (USA)
- Internet Special Education Resources (USA)
- Parents Helping Parents (USA)
- LD Pride Online - Support for young people and adults with learning disabilities.
- SCHWAB Foundation for Learning - Information for parents and educators of children with learning disabilities.
- INTEGRA Foundation - Mental health centre dedicated to helping children/adolescents who experience social and behaviorial problems related to learning disabilities. (Can)
- Autoroute de l'education (French) - Site francais avec regoupements de liens selon themes.
- Ecole et comportement (French) - Problemes de comportement - pour parents et educateurs
- Forum de discussion et de partage (French)
- CH.ADD Canada - Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders (Can)
- CH.ADD - Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders - Homepage of the international organization. Lots of articles and resources. (USA)
- Learning Disabilities Association of Quebec/l'Association Québécoise des troubles d'apprentissage - Great site for Quebec students. Funding for parents & homework assistance.
- myADHD.com - Site dedicated to Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). (USA)
- Geneva Centre for Autism - Excellent Canadian site providing information and resources to parents with autistic children and children with asperger's syndrome. (Can)
- Committee for Children - programs and prevention curricula focus on the topics of youth violence, bullying, child abuse, personal safety, and emergent literacy.
- Clinical Developmental Resources Inc., Concerned Parents' Seminars, & The ADHD/ADD Counseling and Education Centre - are dedicated to providing high quality, in-depth educational programs for professionals and lay people.
- Shapes of Mind - designed to help English School Boards in Quebec develop effective service frameworks for students with learning difficulties. Emphasis is placed on inclusive (developmental) approaches — those that promote high teaching/learning standards for all students in inclusive schools.
- InSight - The IES (Inclusion Educational Service) is designed to support inclusive education in Québec's English school boards.
- Google Earth - Google Earth combines satellite imagery, maps and the power of Google Search to put the world's geographic information at your fingertips.
- MathPower - provides information about basic math, algebra, study skills, math anxiety and learning styles
- Math.com - math resources
- ABC Teach - This is the place for kids, parents, student teachers, and teachers. Free Printables: 5000+ free printable pages and worksheets.
- Reading A-Z - Reading A-Z offers thousands of printable teacher materials to teach guided reading, phonemic awareness, reading comprehension, reading fluency, alphabet, and vocabulary. The teaching resources include professionally developed downloadable leveled books, lesson plans, worksheets, and reading assessments.
- dotolearn- A web site providing activities to promote independence in children and adults with special learning needs
- edHelp - Basic skills sheets for any level of school and any subject.